Welcome to my personal webpage!
I work in the fields of genetics, endocrinology, and neurobiology at The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). As a senior scientist at UAB's Hugh Kaul Precision Medicine Institute, I collaborate with researchers and physicians to identify molecular mechanisms of disease, develop patient-guided animal models, and hypothesize treatment approaches for patients with unique genetic variants associated with rare-genetic disorders.
My goal in research is to use molecular, pharmacological, and endocrinological approaches to better understand cellular communication, development, and neuro-endocrinological signaling. I aim to understand how genetic mutations, environmental variables, and chemicals can induce or disrupt cellular signaling associated with cellular differentiation, development and reproduction. In order to study these topics, I have experience working with a multitude of biological organisms including bacteria, corals, sea anemones, and zebrafish.
My passion for teaching has provided me the opportunity to teach and develop multiple courses in the biological sciences, including human anatomy & physiology, cellular biology, molecular biology and genetics. Through the Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL) I have earned certifications and expanded my knowledge of teaching practices and pedagogy.
I was raised in Birmingham, AL and my education and scientific pursuits have taken me all over the United States and abroad.
- Oct. 2020 - Drs. Crowder, Yoder, and Might receive funding from The Wolverine Foundation to work with a team of researchers to develop MAPK8IP3 patient-guided precision animal models (C. elegans and zebrafish)!
- Sept. 2020 - The Hugh Kaul Precision Medicine Institute receives NIH Pilot Centers for Precision Disease Modeling Award to develop a Center for Precision Animal Modeling (C-PAM)!
- Sept. 2020 - Began teaching GGSC330 Principles in Precision Medicine as a co-instructor with researchers and physicians at The Hugh Kaul Precision Medicine Institute.
- Feb. 2020 - Accepted a full-type position as the Assistant Director of UAB's Hugh Kaul Precision Medicine Institute focusing on education, research outreach, and science communication!
- Oct. 2019 - Joined the Hugh Kaul Precision Medicine Institute and the Thyme Lab in The Department of Neurobiology!
- Jan. 2019 - Began teaching STH201 Molecular Genetics Course in Undergraduate Research Experience (C.U.R.E.) and began a collaboration with Dr. Matt Might at UAB's Precision Medicine Institute (PMI) to examine rare-human genetic disorders.
- Dec. 2018 - GGSC490 Model Systems of Genetic Disorders course wrapped up, another great semester at UAB.
- Nov. 2018- Accepted position to teach STH201 Research Approaches: Molecular Genetics at the UAB Spring 2019!
- Oct. 2018 - G Protein-Coupled Estrogen Receptor manuscript published in the journal Endocrinology!